Thursday, September 07, 2006

Cost of flights bothering you lately?

I was watching the news before work this week and well the topic of airfare costs came up. I was really flabergasted at what I heard. I thought the increase in gas prices was one of the main causes of the airfare hikes, but this was definitely not what was being reported.

*Before I write what I am about to write, I want to prefice that this was reported on the news and is not a personal thought.*

It was noted that one of the main reasons for the airfare hikes is due to Americans being overweight. I was actually shocked to hear this, but after I heard it, it got me to thinking. Planes due have weight limits and depending on the size of the plane will depend on the amount of weight it can hold. All luggage that is checked is weighed and if it goes over a certain weight limit it costs the traveling individual a surcharge to get the bag checked for flight. Now are you seeing where I am going with this.

Let me try and spell it out for those that don't follow. Planes have weight limits, but the only thing getting weighed is the luggage that goes in the undercarrage. What about the total weight of the passengers on the plane and there respective carry-on's??? I am surprised that in this day in age of having to know every last detail about a person that weight isn't a determing factor for boarding a plane. Although, I was on one of those seat-aisle-seat-seat sized planes where the flight attendent had to move people around so the plane was equalized and able to lift off.

Anyway, just a thought even it is a silly one.

No comments: