Thursday, September 07, 2006

Mommy wow I'm a big kid now

Don't you just love being a kid sometimes? That is how today was for me. It was my first day of work from my new place 'sans' the car. That's right, since I live in public transportation central I no longer need the car to cart me around.

And just like the first day of school the alarm goes off and I proceed to hit the snooze button. I so didn't want to get out of bed this morning, but after a nice 20 minute snooze I sprang out of bed to get the day started. After the usual morning routines (shower, get dressed, packing of the work bag, etc.) it was out the door I go.

I throw on the iPod and head on out to what I hope is the right bus stop. Of course out of all the bus stops in the city the one I have to go to doesn't have the route number on it. Eh, I figured I would wait it out and see what happened. If it didn't come by 7:15 then I new I was up sh!t's creek because the next one on this bus line wasn't for another 30 minutes. Yes, there were other buses around the corner that could ultimately take me to my final destination, but do you think I was prepared with all that info...not a chance...remember I barely made it out of bed!

Low and behold the bus arrives and I make my way to work, but not before I realize that this route makes like a 101 stops before it gets me to the T. I am wondering if that is why it is really called the 101 bus. Anyway with tunes in tack I figured I would take in the surrounding sites for what they were worth. I found a gas station that has gas at $2.61! Pretty damn good if you ask me. Oddly the station across the street was offering it at $2.75. I know where I would be getting my gas.

Anyway, with the little anxious girl inside I made my way to the T and hopped on. Only to find out that I had made it to the T that had to keep stopping for some type of traffic up ahead. I think I have heard that "we will be standing by momentarily due to traffic up ahead" speel 101 times today.

The best part of my day was my last minute decision to stop at good old Dunkins before heading into my building this morning (which I also found out this morning is for sale). I walk up to the counter order my medium tea, extra skim, no sugar and go to hand over my $1.76 when I hear $0.49 please. My reaction is "come again?" Gotta love customer appreciation day at Dunkins. They were offering up medium coffees and teas for $0.49 all day today. :)

The bad part of my day was finding out that my FY07 Goals are due tomorrow and giving them a second thought didn't have any effect on me considering I hadn't even given them a first thought!

After work it was off to meet up with my girls for some good eats, drinks and whatever stories that needed to be told. What I didn't know is that after we finished our night together that my not was only just beginning.

I had survived the commute in this morning and was ready to take on the challenge of a new way home. Might as well try all ways to come up with the best way to and from the city, right?

Oh how wrong I was to do this. I took the T with Mags back to Haymarket knowing there was a bus back Medford Sq., but to my surprise the MBTA website is wrong and there is no such bus or so I was told by one of the bus drivers. So back down to the T I had to go to wait 20 minutes for the next T to come. Got to love off peak T hours.

Finally a T comes and I get off at Sullivan Sq. where I know the 101 bus comes, since it dropped me off this morning. I get off the T go to the bus stop and surely there will be a bus any minute now. From what I could remember they came every 10 minutes.

As I stand there waiting for the bus I look up and can see the Schrafts building clock. Hmm 15 minutes have gone by and no bus. Okay it should be here any minute now...I mean all the other bus routes are coming and going. I take another gander at the clock and now we are pushing 25 minutes and no bus. By now I know someone is having a laugh at my expense. After 30 minutes had gone by I gave up and went into the T station to see what was up. I find a useless T guy who could have given 2 sh!ts if I came or went and was in no way interested in helping me out. When another T guy was more than willing to try and help me out my first T guy started telling him to butt out. Back outside to the bus stop I went.

After 45 minutes of waiting at the bus stop a bus finally arrives. Back on the good old 101 I went with all its 101 stops, but I can happily say I made it home, but am now going to print off some bus schedules because I have to add that this reminded me of a time that some friends and I were stranded in a Switzerland or Austrian (can't remember which) train station b/c a friend didn't know how to read a train schedule. Doh!

No comments: